How are you doing? Like, how are you really doing?
On any normal given day, being single can be hard enough. During isolation due to COVID-19, the loneliness seems to be creeping up on us more and more with each day that goes by.
But hey, online dating during corona is still possible! In fact, dating apps are booming these days. Needless to say, practicing safe corona-free online dating should be first priority. For this, dating apps like Bumble have now launched the video date function. Cool, it is what we have been waiting for all along – no more exhausting dates with no chemistry where you have to stay a minimum time just to be polite. On a video call, there is no harm in keeping it short and sweet. Could have used this function a long time ago but ok 😉
But what if you aren’t even getting any matches because your profile has gotten somewhat dusty during pre-Corona times? Here are some tips and tricks to improve your quarantine dating game from your own home sweet corona-free home:
- New profile photo: Even during this strange time, your main profile photo is still the most important! Here are some tips for getting that right shot, in your own home: Find the spot with the most light. Lighting is everything in photography. It makes you look better and the image quality better, too. How about setting your phone or camera on the windowsill and directing it towards a simple background. Use the portrait mode and self-timer while posing naturally with a slight smile and make sure your upper body is in the frame. Voilá! (For more tips on how your photos should look like, see my other blog article)
- Look through old photos: Do you have any old photos on an external hard drive or old cell phones? Have a look through them to see if there are any hidden gems. While photos of your younger self might not be an accurate depiction of you now, perhaps you find some where you look good doing sports or other hobbies and your face is not that visible so the age difference does not matter. These can be great for the 3rd or 4th photo in your profile.
- Update your bio text: Yes, your bio text does matter. No, you should not leave it blank. Sometimes having some actual info about yourself can make all the difference in getting that right swipe. When someone is unsure about you based on your photos, seeing that you have some common interests can be the decisive factor. So, write a little bit about yourself. Who are you and what do you like? It should be short and lighthearted. One tip I always give is: instead of saying you are funny, actually say something funny.
- Test everything: Just a little secret I am bringing along from my years in working in marketing: Test everything. That means your photos, the combinations of photos and your bio text. Test every variation for a few days and notice which one gets your more matches. Try using just 2 photos and then another variation with 6. You might be surprised, sometimes less is more. Try different variations of your bio text: Short, long, funny or loads of random info about you. This way you can continuously optimize your profile. Because when it comes down to it, it is impossible to know what the women you like find interesting in profiles. So instead of guessing: test it!
- Connect with me: Want some advice on which of your photos are HOT and which ones are NOT? Give me a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Instagram @dating.photographer <3